Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hourglass

First, let me apologise for the lack of a post last Thursday.  I contracted a stomach bug, which doesn't go well with pregnancy, and left me a bit out of it for a few days.

Sometime during the summer before I started 6th grade, I sprouted.  I distinctly remember waking up one morning and simply not being able to fit into those accursed training bras anymore.  Instead, I wandered down the hallway to my parents' room and raided my mother's undie drawer.  Woah!  It was overnight!  Suddenly, I no longer looked like a little girl, but a young woman.  At eleven!  I was not ready for this.  When we went to restaurants, I had to beg for the children's menu.  While walking my dog, much older men would eyeball me as they drove by in their cars.  I even watched as one such man turned around, rolled down his window, and asked me how old I was!
That same summer, I went to camp.  Running around outdoors for a week up and down hills had another effect on my growing body.  I developed some serious muscles in my legs.  For a girl who was not at all athletic, this was quite unexpected.  Gone was the pudge of pre-pubescence.  I now had a lovely little hourglass figure with strong, muscular legs.  Funny thing is, I don't think I was any more comfortable with the hourglass than I had been with the chub.  I hadn't expected to grow up so early.  In my mind, this wasn't something that should happen until you were at least in your teens.  Why had I become a young woman so soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment